Morning Latte – Approval Addiction?

September 17, 2012

Rosemary Joles Monday Inspiration for SanDiego

 

“You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time.” Abraham Lincoln

 

 

Are you like so many of us in San Diego County… overcome with the approval addiction? To approve is to agree to something or accept something as satisfactory. It is the belief that someone or something is good or acceptable, The New Oxford American Dictionary.

Some of us grew up thinking that constant approval was going to bring us peace and contentment. I used to think that if I did things in the “politically correct” manner that my particular situation called for, that I would be one of the “IN’s”. I would be liked because I agreed with the general consensus.

All you have to do is turn on Fox News or CNN these days to see how sharply approval ratings fluctuate on different candidates running for office. Sometimes these numbers alter from one moment to the next. People can be so fickle.

We also see that some people, no matter what they do, will always fail in the eyes of some beholders. That’s just life.

Rosemary Joles Money Inspiration for San Diego

In Don’t Sweat The Small Stuff, and it’s all small stuff, Richard Carlson, Ph.D., reminds the reader that in a landslide victory, most of the time the winner only achieves a whopping 55% of the vote. That means that the remaining 45% wish that the other candidate had won.

Let’s face it, even Jesus Christ lost one apostle—Judas.

When we get the approval monkey off our backs our lives start to get a whole lot easier. Approval cannot be our compass in life. Rather than focusing on rejection when it comes, why not focus on the good, the integrity behind our choices? We can find peace in knowing that what we are doing is the best based upon what we know at this time in our lives. Each one of us is growing, learning, and refining our understanding of life. Let’s give ourselves a break & encourage someone today!

 Other Great Morning Latte Articles:Thankfulness, Protocol

 

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: