What if you could change one simple thing today that would dramatically improve your business and personal success – would you do it? Well here is something, and it is absolutely free. You can become a better Listener.
Your Efforts Will Yield Huge Dividends
Good listeners have more confidence. They make fewer mistakes. They have more satisfying relationships. They get more done faster, because they have a much better chance of doing things right the first time. Good Listeners are a pleasure to be around because in listening, they acknowledge and value the other person.
Most of the successful people I known are the ones who do more listening than talking. Bernard M. Baruch
Some Things To Consider
Here are a few tips from Infoplease that I think will really help:
- Give your full attention to the person who is talking
- Let the speaker finish before you begin speaking
- Listen for the main ideas the other person is sharing
- Asking questions can help the speaker solidify their thoughts
- Repeat back what they have said to be sure you understand what they are saying
- Understanding what the other person wants or needs will allow me to respond in the most appropriate manner
One final thing to consider, listening is not synonymous with agreement. I do not need to agree with the speaker in order to politely listen. Rather, in listening I am supporting and encouraging the other person.