Here are some more tips for saving money on utilities from fivecentnickel.com:
- Put a sealed jar of water in your toilet tank to displace water. Refilling tank takes a lot less water and over time it will add up.
- Fix your leaky toilet by replacing worn out flapper valve. This one measure can save thousands of gallons each year.
- Low-flow showerheads are another simple fix, or you could just shorten shower time.
- Don’t let the water run. While you are brushing, turn it off.
- One more, in older houses you can install aerator screens on your faucets. They improve the power of the stream coming out of your faucet by allowing air into the line. Newer homes should already have these, although check your laundry or utility sinks. They sometimes get missed.
Check this Earth Day 2012 article from Yahoo News for more ideas.