Honoring Our Military Heroes
There is plenty of ways to pay tribute to those who paid the ultimate price for our freedoms here in America on this Memorial Day, May 26, 2014. If you haven’t already done so this weekend take a moment to honor our fallen soldiers. Check out these events happening today.
2) Visit Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery and view all of the tiny flags that have been individually placed honoring each and every military hero buried at the cemetery. If you visit at 3 pm you can partake in the national moment of remembrance that will take place nationwide.
3) Honor Sgt. Rafael Peralta, USMC, at Mount Soledad Veterans Memorial Park. The local San Diego Marine was awarded the Navy Cross for making the ultimate sacrifice saving the lives of fellow Marines. Presentation is 2 pm -3 pm.
4) Go to the Alpine Veterans Wall of Honor for a celebration that will be held at the Alpine Community Center Park from 11 am – 2 pm. Today’s tribute will include a flyover of WWII vintage planes
5) Attend the touching Memorial Day Tribute at La Vista Memorial Park and Mausoleum, 3191 Orange St., National City, CA. Attendees can stay and enjoy free food, 1940’s era music and activities for children.
6) At 1o am Memorial Day you can take part in the ceremony being held in Coronado’s Star Park. It will be featuring a stirring rendition of “Taps” and a group singing of “God Bless America.”
7) Check out the ceremonies at the Veterans Museum & Memorial Center located in Balboa Park. It starts at 8 am and goes until 5 pm.
8) Not on Memorial Day, but yet a time to practice your patriotism, enjoy an old fashioned Flag Day Parade in La Mesa at 10 am on May 31st. This year’s theme, ” A Salute to Old Glory”. You can find more information about the event here.
For those who have made the ultimate sacrifice, along with their families, please watch this video. (FYI…It doesn’t cover the latest war and is an older video) It is a very small token to express how grateful we are, for all that you’ve done so that we might continue to live in freedom.
From all of us here at The Joles Group we wish each of you a safe Memorial Day.
Photo credit: Stock Photo by Sean Locke digitalplanetdesign.com